Providing Support Remotely
About this Workshop
Human beings are built to connect. Our health and resilience are strengthened by interactions with others, which is why it’s natural for us to have a preference for in-person, face-to-face support during times of struggle. However, the realities of COVID-19 and social distancing have forced helpers to adapt how we connect and offer support. This workshop explores the benefits and challenges around supporting others remotely. Practical strategies for how to intentionally engage with others when we are not able to meet in person are provided.Inquire about Training
This is an introductory-intermediate level workshop intended for social service and health care professionals, counsellors, social workers, and school personnel.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, personal reflection, and small group discussions.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Transfer their experience of providing in-person support to a remote-based supportive framework
- Understand the benefits and challenges of providing support remotely
- Strengthen communication skills required for supporting remotely
- Boost confidence of providing support through remote mediums
- Types of Remote Support
- Benefits and Challenges of Supporting Remotely
- Using Technology to Build Relationships
- Key Communication Skills for Providing Support
- Special Considerations When Working Remotely