Live Virtual Workshops
Front Line Skills for Social Services
Credit Hours (CEC)
Front Line Skills for Social Services - Live Virtual - Feb. 2, 2023 9am--4pm Central Time
Upon completion, participants should be able to:
- Identify skills for relationship building and effective communication in a helping role
- Summarize important emotional and cultural awareness skills for helpers
- List case management steps that fit within the parameters of one’s role
- Plan steps for a trauma-informed approach that will enhance both client and helper resilience
*Please allow only the registered individual(s) to view webinar materials
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, case study exercises, experiential practice, personal reflection, delivered electronically.
Some of the Topics Included
- Why do You Want to be a Helper?
- Building a Strong Helping Relationship
- Essential Emotional Skills
- Essential Listening and Communication Skills
- Strategies for Working with Differences
- A Trauma-Informed Lens
- Skills for Self-Awareness – Beliefs and Biases
- Ethics in Social Services
- Working with Other Systems
- Advocacy and Empowerment
- Staying Healthy in a Helping Profession
This is an introductory level workshop intended for people in a wide variety of helping roles including social service and health care workers, social workers, support workers, school personnel.
Trainer: Paula Hutchinson
Paula is an enthusiastic educator, trainer and evaluation consultant. She has worked in clinical, school and community-based settings in the areas of mental health, (dis)Ability, and challenging behaviour with individuals, families and health profession teams. Paula believes that everyone, regardless of their diagnosis or abilities, has the right to experience a meaningful life free from barriers and stigma. And that only by working together to create sustainable solutions, can individuals, families, professionals and communities ensure that supports, services and policies are responsive and effective for all. As a facilitator, she brings her knowledge of adult education and learning principles to provide an engaging, practical and interactive workshop experience.