IN PERSON Motivational Interviewing
Credit Hours (CEC)
Motivational Interviewing - In Person Edmonton - September 28, 2023; 9am-4pm Mountain Time
Early rate expires 09/08/2023
Upon completion, participants should be able to:
- Describe the principles of Motivational Interviewing
- Recognize ambivalence and resistance
- Identify change talk in clients
- Identify strategies that support a client’s own motivation
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, experiential practice, case study exercises, personal reflection, delivered electronically.
Some of the Topics Included
- Motivational Interviewing Principles
- Understanding your Client’s Motivation
- Listening to your Client
- Foundational Skills: OARS (Open Questions, Affirming, Reflecting, Summarizing)
- Recognizing and Supporting Change Talk
- Four Processes of MI (Engaging, Focusing, Evoking, and Planning)
- Common Traps to Avoid
- Reflective Listening
- Roadblocks to Listening
- Approaching Ambivalence and Resistance
- When to use Motivational Interviewing
- Readiness to Change
This is an introductory-intermediate level workshop for social service and health care professionals, social workers, school personnel, and anyone supporting people.
Terms & Conditions
View our cancellation policy and other information regarding your live virtual workshop or for your in-person workshop.
Trainer: Danielle Forth
Danielle has over 15 years of clinical experience working in front line mental health, consulting and teaching roles. She is a Registered Psychologist and holds a Master’s degree in Marital and Family Therapy. In addition to training with CTRI, she has a private clinical practice working with individuals, couples and families on a variety of mental health issues. As a therapist, Danielle brings a strong desire to facilitate excellent and enjoyable learning experiences to her workshops that reflect her compassion, warmth and humour. Read blogs written by Danielle here.